Monday, February 9, 2009

Anyone get the plate number of that beer?!?

Friday night my out-of-town drummer and his wife stayed over so we could hit the studio hard in the morning. They rolled in at 1am, and I offered the road weary travelers some home brew.

We started with the Blonde. It's surprisingly full, round, and sweet for being so light in color, and really shocking considering how thin it tasted before bottling. Something pretty amazing happened in the bottle. It's lightly carbonated, smooth, and has a nice blend of fruty and light malty flavors. Complex, and highly drinkable. (BTW, would we use "drinkability" to describe good beer if it weren't for cheesy ads for cheap, mass-produced American beers smacking our brains around every 7 minutes?)

Next we cracked a round of Jamb-Ale-Aya. This is a shocking beer, and we knew it before we started drinking. The first things you smell are a delicious floral zing, and alcohol. Tell me we recorded initial gravity on this thing, because it HAS to be off the chart. The flavor, in addition to carrying through the floral note, has a solid malty base, maybe the strongest malt flavor of anything we've made.

About halfway through the Jamb-Ale-Aya, it occurred to me that my head was no longer firmly connected to my feet. I was already pounded, but I soldiered on. My drummer's wife was too tired for her second beer and went to bed, so my drummer took care of 90% of her glass. That's two beers for me, three for Drummer Boy. By morning, I had more than a little twinge in my head until I fought back with the strongest coffee I've had in months, and my drummer overslept, and admitted he had seen better days. Think about that. He's a DRUMMER. If Jamb-Ale-Aya is even a pinch below 12% ABV, I'd better consider hanging up my drinking shoes. Can we get a number on this? I have to know what humbled me.

4 comments:

gromasthomas said...

wimp.

Grynch said...

Of course, but that doesn't explain my drummer, who could drink you under the table any night of the week then use your head as a bongo.

gromasthomas said...

you're both wimps

Mirthwright said...

we did record the original gravity. whether i can find where that's written is another story.