Sunday, February 7, 2010

Ithaca Beer Company Cascazilla



Full disclosure upfront: I might have had this beer before. I can't be sure, though. I once spent an afternoon in the brewery and store of the Ithaca Beer Company and tried a number of their beers, which probably included this one. But I'm going to review it anyway. Ithaca's a beer company which I support wholeheartedly and will buy their products whenever I come across them. Their Nut Brown Ale is heavenly. But on to the CascaZilla!

According to the brewer, the name is both a play on the name of a local gorge (after all, Ithaca is Gorges), and a reference to the "monster amounts of Cascade hops" they use in the brew. Being a hop fiend, I don't know that I'd call the amount of hops in this brew monstrous, but it's healthy, especially given that Cascade is a medium-to-mild variety of hop. I've always been a fan of red ales, and find any excuse to put caramel or crystal malts in my homebrews to get toward that reddish amber color that makes me so very happy. This brew is nearly perfect in attaining that color. Its head is creamy and full, and pouring it opens up aromas that promise a comforting brew to come.

It's a bit strong for sessioning at around 7%, but even so, I could happily sit and consume several of these of an evening with no need to be driving anytime soon. Maybe around a couple of dorky multi-hour board games that I enjoy, or an in-home date night with a dinner and some DVDs. This is a full-bodied and strong brew that is comforting in the cold New England winter (and presumably in the cold Ithaca, New York winter as well), and it's great to find a beer that's wintry comforting and isn't a stout or a porter (although I have no objection to stouts and porters.)

This beer, like all Ithaca beers, is vegan friendly. I am very happy with this beer and will certainly buy it again. I rate it an A-. My name is Joe.

No comments: