Sunday, February 7, 2010

Hurricane Amber Ale



Next up! It's the Newport Storm Hurricane Amber Ale brewed by the Coastal Extreme Brewing Company! You may note by the excessive number of exclamation points that I am excited about this beer! It's true!

Coastal Extreme is a microbrewery in Rhode Island, so being a New Englander myself I couldn't resist giving it a try, although I expected it to be something a little less exciting than it was. Its got a great coppery-amber color, a mild aroma and head, and subtle hops flavor. The malt flavors are where this beer really comes alive. It was totally unexpected, but the flavor came on strong, but not overpowering, and unlike anything you're used to in a beer. There's a complexity of flavor that I can't even identify completely but can only say you should try it and be prepared to be surprised.

The brewer advocates their products as session beers (without using the term), and it's certainly that, I could easily see going through a six-pack over the course of a football game oro an afternoon fishing off the coast of Newport. In fact, if anyone has a yacht to give me, or even a fishing boat, I'll provide a few sixers of these beers. I'm glad to see this brewery is doing well, and even opening a new brewery location in Newport. Hopefully it's an expansion. Also of note, this brewery appears to be affiliated with a still producing Thomas Tew Rums, which I'm going to have to try next time I'm in Rhode Island. I could not determine if this beer is vegan but will contact the brewery and try to find out, and update this post as information becomes available. EDIT: I've heard back from the company, and they inform me that no animal products are used in their brews, so vegans, drink away!

I give this beer an A-, and could even go higher but need room to be surprised by excellence. My name is Joe.

No comments: