Saturday, December 27, 2008

Saranac 12 Beers of Winter (continued)

There were four more beers to sample in this holiday pack: Bohemian Pilsener, India Brown Ale, Season's Best, and Belgian Ale.

Simply put, the Season's Best was a wonderful surprise - the clear winner in this pack for my tastes. It's very distinct from everything else in the pack and has a great mix of holiday spice and hop flavors. It was bitter yet pulled off the sort of cinnamon/nutmeg/cardamom flavors you'd expect from a holiday brew.

The Belgian Ale was pleasant. Typically I don't enjoy Belgian Ales but this one felt like it had a little more body than your run of the mill Belgian Ale (did somebody say Blue Moon?) does, and it made me want to drink the 2nd one in immediate succession (AND I DID!)

The Pilsener and the India Brown Ale were less memorable, the Pilsener is solid and I enjoyed it. There are so many Pilseners out there and unfortunately this one seems to blend into my palettes memory with many of the rest of them. The India Brown Ale reminded me of a weak IPA. There wasn't enough flavor in it, another disappointment.

No comments: