Monday, June 13, 2011

Mead is not Beer

The bottle says "Maple Mead 7 - 08" and so it isn't even mead, but that doesn't make it any less like beer than if it was mead. I don't remember if I had anything to do with the making of this beast, but Joe blessed us with a bottle anyway.

I couldn't wait the extra month to make it an even three years, but I probably wouldn't notice a year difference, let alone a month. I remember this at bottling time, and it was thin and didn't show much promise to my untrained palette.

After a nearly three year sulk in a dark cabinet, I'm pleased with the result. It has a gentle and sweet nose, with no hint of maple. I can't remember the last time I drank white wine, but this is sort of similar to what I remember. It's just sweet enough to balance the refreshing bitterness, and it has a nice dry finish. It's a fine apéritif. It's still a bit on the thin side, but it's certainly complex enough, and wonderfully refreshing after a lovely unemployed walk.

What the hell happened to everyone?

No comments: